Click on the image to see the text. Click on the arrow to see the video.
I. Opening video in scripture. (See Bill and Gloria Gaither video details below, V.)
A. The song, “Blow The Trumpet In Zion” is based on the future time of tribulation. (The Day of the Lord relates closely to the teaching of this article. The Day of the Lord consists of “The Tribulation, and The Second Coming of Christ, and The Thousand-year Millennium/Kingdom Age).”
B. The Day of the Lord.. Consider Joel 2:1, NKJV. “Blow the trumpet in Zion, And sound an alarm in My holy mountain! Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble; For the day of the Lord is coming, For it is at hand.” (The Moody Bible Commentary note. “near” is used, to refer to sudden and terrifying judgment.)
C. Consider the MacArthur Study Bible note. 2:1–17 With an increased level of intensity, Joel utilized the metaphor of the locust plague and drought as a backdrop from which to launch an intensified call to repent in view of the coming invasion of Judah and the Day of the Lord, present and future (MacArthur Study Bible).
D. Zion refers to the city of Jerusalem https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1543702/jewish/What-Is-Zion.htm
II. The Jewish Timeline Continues. The content of this article is very important to understand.
A. Joshua and Israel were in battle with the armies of five kings (Joshua 10:1-11, NASB).
B. God encouraged Joshua: “And the Lord said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have delivered them into your hand; not a man of them shall stand before you,” (Josh 10:8, NKJV).
C. During the battle, Joshua prayed to God: “Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, “O sun, stand still at Gibeon, And O moon in the valley of Aijalon,” (Josh 10:12, NASB).
D. Consider the answer of God to Joshua’s prayer: “So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day,”(Josh 10:13 (NASB)
E. God’s Words were followed by His action: ” the LORD fought for Israel,” (Josh 10:14 KJV.)
F. Video – Did The Sun Stand Still – Joshua Chapter 10
Hugh Ross – “Is There Any Evidence for Joshua’s Long Day?” – Hugh Ross Details Follow (See VI below.)
2. https://www.reasons.org/about/hugh-ross (See VI. below)
3. Video details.
28:19 RTB 101: Is There Any Evidence for Joshua’s Long Day? 1,834 views•Published on Feb 16, 2019
Reasons to Believe – 17K subscribers (See VI. below.)
E. Consider the words, “sun” and “stand still,” in Josh 10:12. Probably, the most important word to consider is “sun” (Hebrew, שֶׁמֶשׁ). We will refer to Strong’s Concordance, which is contained within the pages of Bible Hub biblehub.com Consider the many words that are shown to be possible definitions for “sun” and “stand still.” But, we must also ask a very compelling question; “Was Joshua actually referring to “the sun standing still?” For instance, in Matthew 3:11, the Greek word “baptizo” (βαπτίζω) is translated into the English word, “baptize.” In Greek, baptizo (βαπτίζω) means, “to dip or sink.” Its literal usage is: “dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; baptize.” The following words are also considerations: 907 baptízō – properly, “submerge” (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, “dip under”). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion (“immersion”), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai (“sprinkle”). The starting point for all of this consideration for “baptize” is the Greek word, (911.0) “bapto,” meaning “to dip.” However, “baptize” has been taken incorrectly to mean “sprinkle and pour.” The following information should help you to understand the proper understanding of “sun” and “stand still.” Keep in mind the original Hebrew words: “שֶׁמֶשׁ” (sun) and “do·vm” (stand still).
1. Joshua 10:12 – sun – NASB Lexicon https://biblehub.com/lexicon/joshua/10-12.htm
NASB – sun
Hebrew – mesh
Strong’s – 8121: sun
8121. shemesh https://biblehub.com/hebrew/8121.htm
Original Word: שֶׁמֶשׁ;
Part of Speech: Noun
Phonetic Spelling: (sheh’-mesh)
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
from an unused word
battlements (1), daylight (1), daylight* (1), east side* (2), east* (7), sun (109), sun’s (1), sundown* (1), sunrise* (3), sunset* (6), west* (1).
2. Joshua 10:12 – stand still – NASB Lexicon – https://biblehub.com/lexicon/joshua/10-12.htm
Hebrew – (do·vm,)
Strong’s – 1826a: to be or grow dumb, silent or still
1826a – 1826a. damam https://biblehub.com/hebrew/8121.htm
damam: to be or grow dumb, silent or still
Definition: to be or grow dumb, silent or still
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
a prim. root
to be or grow dumb, silent or still
ceasing (1), destroyed (1), doomed (1), have…rest (1), keeps silent (1), kept silent (3), made silent (1), motionless (1), perish (1), quieted (1), relax (1), rest (1), silenced (4), silent (5), silently (1), stand still (1), stay still (1), still (1), stood still (1), wait (1), wait in silence (1).
3. Consider translation and and understanding.
a. The Bible contains other scriptures that relate to the scriptures being read to the total nation of Israel. Exodus 24:7, Nehemiah 8:1, 8, 13, 9:3. 13:1. Jeremiah 36:15.
b. The scriptures were read and understood by the Jews. Nehemiah 8:8 (NASB) “They read from the book, from the law of God, translating to give the sense so that they understood the reading.”
F. Joshua’s situation. Consider the information about astronomy that Joshua, and the Jews, “did not know.”
1. The sun does not rotate around the earth; the earth rotates around the sun. Earth’s average orbital speed is about 30 kilometers per second. In other units, that’s about 19 miles per second, or 67,000 miles per hour, or 110,000 kilometers per hour (110 million meters per hour).
2. The terms, “sunrise, and sunset,” have been used for many years, and still are being used by meteorologists to describe the length of time that the earth is lit by the light of the sun. But, such terms are words of convenience. The sun does not rise or set; it is stationary before the planet Earth.
3. The sun is at the heart of the solar system. All of the bodies in the solar system — planets, asteroids, comets. Earth orbits the sun at an average of 92,955,807 miles etc. — revolve around it at various distances. https://www.space.com/17081-how-far-is-earth-from-the-sun.html
G. Joshua’s reality. The sun was not rotating around the earth so that it could stop rotating and stand still. Such wording, as we see in Joshua 10:12-13 explains, that which God did for the Jews by extending the daylight. The information that has been provided for this article would not have been known by the Jews of Joshua’s time, or by any of the Jews that were present for any of the scripture readings that are mentioned above (E.4.a.). For the Jews that were present at the time and place of Joshua Chapter 10, “the only thing that they knew” was that they had experienced, “a…real…long…day!”
1. The Jews that were present during the battle between them and the five kings of the Amorites (Josh 10:5) were very aware of that which God did to bring about that victory: “The Lord said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you” (Josh 10:8). God stood by his promise: “And the Lord confounded them before Israel, and He slew them with a great slaughter” (Josh 10:10). God’s judgment upon the Amorites was mighty: “As they fled from before Israel, while they were at the descent of Beth-horon, the Lord threw ‘large stones’ from heaven on them as far as Azekah, and they died; there were more who died from the hailstones than those whom the sons of Israel killed with the sword” (Josh 10:11). In this battle against the enemies of God’s chosen people, we see similarity to the miraculous stones that God will fling down on earth during the future wrath (Rev. 16:21). Consider the MacArthur study note: 16:21 a talent. The heaviest weight a normal man could carry (about 75 lbs.). The huge size of the hailstones indicates unparalleled atmospheric convulsions. Such massive chunks of ice will cause unimaginable devastation and death. In this Joshua chapter 10 battle, God closely protected Israel, and will continue to do so until Christ returns to earth to save the Jews (Cf. Zech 2:8, Ps. 17:8; Prov. 7:2. “Matt 24:22: the elect are the Jews of the tribulation.”) The difference between God’s judgment through hailstones of Joshua 10, and those of Revelation 16, is that God’s judgment on the enemies of Israel are confined to Canaan in Joshua 10, but are spread out upon the whole world in Rev 16, per Rev 3:10.
2. Joshua was present at the events of Joshua Chapter 10, and throughout that book. But, an assistant would have had to complete the book at the time of Joshua’s death (MacArthur Study Note). Joshua wrote an account of the events of Chapter 10; he knew that which he saw, and God’s Holy Spirit led him to write a journal of this battle, and of all of his other actions (2 Timothy 3:16). A person who has not been born again, does not have the guidance of the Holy Spirit for correct translation. The NRSV is a prime example of such translation that has not been inspired by God. Consider Isaiah 7:14, in the NRSV and KJV.
a. Isaiah 7:14 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.” (notice, “young woman.”)
b. Isaiah 7:14 King James Version (KJV) “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” (notice, “virgin.”)
The English word, “virgin,” is translated, as follows.
Hebrew: הָעַלְמָ֗ה, (ha·’al·mah)
Strong’s: 5959: a young woman, a virgin
almah: a young woman, a virgin
Original Word: עַלְמָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine; Transliteration: almah; Phonetic Spelling: (al-maw’); Definition: a young woman, a virgin;
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin: fem. of elem; Definition; a young woman, a virgin;
NASB Translation: girl (1), maid (1), maiden (1), maidens (3), virgin (1).
3. The prophecy of our Lord can only be made to state that He would be born of a virgin, and not of a young woman. Anything, other than the word “virgin,” would allow for a less than spiritual conception of our Lord to have taken place. The liberal translators of the NRSV were not being led by the Holy Spirit, which would suggest that they were not born again…not having God’s Spirit dwelling within their spirit. That which they were doing was, “moving words around.” The NRSV translators clearly demonstrated that they were not being led by the Spirit of God, but were being led by their own “non-spiritual human understanding,” thereby including in “their bible,” incorrect and confusing words. Here is a question for consideration. Because Isaiah 7:14 has been so greatly mistranslated by the NRSV, what other NRSV scriptures are there that might also be equally mistranslated? (The NRSV was translated by National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Council_of_Churches_members).
4. The importance of scripture is that it be understood. Joshua and the Israelites understood that which happened at the place of the events of Joshua Chapter 10. It is also important for anything else that has been written in the Bible to be correctly understood. The purpose of this Equipping Site is to “equip the saints, for the work of ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ (Eph 4:12).
5. Btw, it’s okay to say, “sunrise and sunset.” (lol)
IV. Video details, from I.
Bill & Gloria Gaither – Blow the Trumpet (Live)
Gaither Music TV – 1.22M subscribers
Official video for “Blow the Trumpet [Live]” feat. The Homecoming Friends
Download on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/isr…
Subscribe to Gaither TV at http://www.gaither.tv
Subscribe to Homecoming Magazine at http://www.homecomingmagazine.com/mag…
Subscribe to Gaither VEVO channel: https://www.youtube.com/GaitherVEVO
V. Hugh Ross Details, from II, D., 1. and 2.
RTB 101: Is There Any Evidence for Joshua’s Long Day? 1:22
With Hugh Ross Dig Deeper: https://www.reasons.org/explore/blogs…
Help us create even more empowering resources! Support Reasons to Believe at: https://reasons.org/2819
Follow 28:19 for updates!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2819-Show-27…Twitter: https://twitter.com/2819show
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/2819show/ Website: http://www.reasons.org
Follow RTB_Official for updates!Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RTBofficial
Instagram: http://instagram.com/rtb_official Website: http://www.reasons.org
Category Nonprofits & Activism
VI. Please follow this blog so that you will receive future articles automatically. I will see you again in seven days. You can make a comment to me on this blog. I moderate all comments. If you desire to not have your comment made public, please let me know and I will respond privately to you.