Video Title. What is the “little book” that John was told to eat? Video details are shown below, to include credentials of the speakers.
Article Title. End Times 15, Revelation 10:1-11, A Taste Of The Future
A. Let us remember the purpose for all Scripture, in that all Scriptures are based on “The Purpose Of God, (Isaiah 46:10).”
1. In our study of the End Times, we consider God’s purposes for Israel, “My people Israel.” (2 Chronicles 6:5-7).
2. God has given severe warnings for those who would harm His chosen people: “And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed” (Genesis 12:3).
B. We will begin this article, and each following article, with a Scripture that relates to God’s plans for Israel.
1. Isaiah 1:1 “The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz concerning Judah and Jerusalem, which he saw during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.” (Notice that the book of Isaiah was written to Jews, by a Jew (Isaiah), about Jewish things of Israel.)
2. Isaiah 65:17 ““For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.” RSB note. This verse is part of the characteristics of the Kingdom which are written from vs 17-25. Note. A description of the Millennial Kingdom, which is preliminary to the “new heavens and a new earth” (v 17). Characteristics include Jerusalem’s being a joy instead of a burden (v 18, cf, Zech 12:2-3), “longevity (v 20; notice that sin will be punished in the Millennium); peace and security (vv 21-23), and removing of the animosity in nature (v 25; cf. 11:7-9). Read the following link. You will see that we are not in the Kingdom now.
A. The opening video has a discussion on this chapter that relates to things that will happen in the future; these are things that are bad (sour), and things that are good (sweet). The bad things are not stated, but may refer to upcoming judgments, such as the trumpet judgments (Rev 15:1-16:21), and the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11-15). The sweet things are the yet future “millennial kingdom,” (See I.B.2., above, Isaiah 65:17 and note, for a description of the millennial kingdom.), and the “eternal state” of the new heavens, new earth and new Jerusalem (Rev 21:1-2). Those whom will be left behind from the Rapture will face the upcoming Trumpet Judgments; if any of these “left behind” types come to saving faith in Christ, even during the Tribulation, they will be saved from the Great White Throne Judgment. Those whom will stand before the Great White Throne Judgment will be those whom will never have been born again. Those whom will enter the Eternal State of the New Heaven, New Earth and New Jerusalem, will be those whom will have been born again (John 3:3). Needless to say, any of whom are left behind from the Rapture will come under the judgments of God until they die, or are killed, or may survive the Tribulation. Anyone who comes to saving faith in Christ during the Tribulation will enter into the Kingdom Age; they also will enter into the Eternal State. Anyone, not coming to saving faith in Christ during the Tribulation, yet being a survivor, will suffer immediate death. Such Tribulation “unbelievers” will be raised from death at the end of the Kingdom Age to stand before the Great White Throne Judgment, and will be cast into the lake of fire (Rev 20:11-15). We will go deeper into this study of end times occupants in upcoming articles.
B. The following video shows a very special time in the lives of Jews. The Jewish family and friends in the video are seen in their weekly Sabbath observance. The warmth and love of this group of Jews is undeniable.
1. As with the prior article, you will notice that the Shabbat candles are lit by a woman. Consider this info that comes from a Jewish website: “The mitzvah of lighting candles has been given especially to women, the mainstays of the Jewish home, but it is an obligation for every home, and if no woman over bat mitzvah is present to light, the candles are lit by the man of the home.”
2. The scriptural significance of a woman lighting the Shabbat candles is amazing. Consider that is was a woman, Mary, who brought “the Light of the world,” into the world (John 1:4-9).” Also, as in the Shabbat observance, once the light is lit, “it can not be put out,” just as the Light of Christ is forever lighting the world of darkness, enlightening everyone (John 1:9) . There is also a specific time for lighting the Shabbat candles; consider Galatians 4:4, ” But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law.”
3. Video details are shown below.
a. Leviticus 23:1-8. In this passage, God speaks to the Israelites about the feasts of God.
1 The Lord spoke again to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘The Lord’s appointed times which you shall proclaim as holy convocations—My appointed times are these:
3 ‘For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings.
4 ‘These are the appointed times of the Lord, holy convocations which you shall proclaim at the times appointed for them. 5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight is the Lord’s Passover. 6 Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. 7 On the first day you shall have a holy convocation; you shall not do any laborious work. 8 But for seven days you shall present an offering by fire to the Lord. On the seventh day is a holy convocation; you shall not do any laborious work.’”
b. The Book of Leviticus opens with the following words that identify Israel as being being the recipient of the Law.
Leviticus 1:1, “Then the Lord called to Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting, saying, 2 “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them…”
C. The Book of Leviticus closes with the following words that identify Israel as being the recipient of the Law.
Leviticus 27:34, “These are the commandments which the Lord commanded Moses for the sons of Israel at Mount Sinai.”
D. The Book of Leviticus contains much more than the Ten Commandments. The Law consists of the 613 Torah Laws, or commandments: http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm
E. Even though the Law was given by God to Jews (Psalm 147:19), I choose to honor the Sabbath Day. I will explain some of my thoughts about honoring the Sabbath Day in a future article.
III. Translation Considerations. “The New American Standard Bible (NASB) translation was chosen for this, and other studies, because of two main reasons. First, the NASB capitalizes the first letter of pronouns that relate to God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit); not all Bible translations show that same respect for God. Second, the NASB has a history of correctness in translation.”
IV. Text: Revelation 10:1-11
The Angel and the Little Book
1 I saw another strong angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon his head, and his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire; 2 and he had in his hand a little book which was open. He placed his right foot on the sea and his left on the land; 3 and he cried out with a loud voice, as when a lion roars; and when he had cried out, the seven peals of thunder uttered their voices. 4 When the seven peals of thunder had spoken, I was about to write; and I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Seal up the things which the seven peals of thunder have spoken and do not write them.” 5 Then the angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land lifted up his right hand to heaven, 6 and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and the things in it, and the earth and the things in it, and the sea and the things in it, that there will be delay no longer, 7 but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, then the mystery of God is finished, as He preached to His servants the prophets.
8 Then the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, “Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land.” 9 So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he *said to me, “Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey.” 10 I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter. 11 And they *said to me, “You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings.”
V. Comments of Theologians. BKC=The Bible Knowledge Commentary. MSB=MacArthur Study Bible; NAC = New American Commentary; NKJV= New King James Study Bible; RRC=Ryrie Commentary; RSB=Ryrie Study Bible; SRN=Scofield Reference Notes; WRC= Walvoord Commentary);
1. 10:6 “there will be delay no longer.” I.e., when the seventh angel sounds his trumpet (11:15), the bowl judgments will be poured out (16:1-21) and the Tribulation will come to an end with the return of Christ. This will be good news to the martyrs awaiting their vindication (6:10-11).
2. 10:7 “the mystery of God.” Truth concerning God Himself, which will not be revealed until His Kingdom is established on earth.
3. 10:9-10. The eating of the little book (scroll) was to remind John that, although these truths from God may be pleasant for his taste, they were bitter when digested because they spoke of judgment. The revelation of God’s judgment, on careful reflection, should always bring heaviness of heart to the child of God. Compare Ezek 2:8-3:3.
1. 10:1–11:14 These verses serve as an interlude between the sixth trumpet and the seventh trumpet (11:15). The seals and the bowls also have a brief interlude between their sixth and seventh judgments (7:1–17; 16:15). God’s intention is to encourage and comfort His people in the midst of the fury and to remind them that He is still sovereign, that He remembers His people, and that they will ultimately be victorious.
2. 10:2 little book. The 7-sealed scroll that is the title deed to the earth (see note on 5:1) will be fully opened and all the final judgments made visible. right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land. Although Satan has temporarily usurped the sea and the earth, this symbolic act demonstrates that all creation belongs to the Lord and He rules it with sovereign authority.
3. 10:4 “a voice from heaven.” The identity of this voice is not stated.
3. 10:5 raised up his hand. This Gr. verb appears often in the technical sense of raising the hand to take an oath or a solemn vow (cf. Dan. 12:7; see notes on Matt. 5:33, 34). The hand is raised toward heaven because that is where God dwells. The angel is taking an oath.
4. 10:8 “the voice which I heard from heaven.” The identity of this voice is not stated.
1. 10:1 This mighty angel could be the “strong angel” of 5:2 or the angel “having great authority” of 18:1. It is unlikely that this is Michael, who is referred to by name elsewhere (see 12:7; Dan. 12:1), or Christ, since He is never called an angel in the NT. Furthermore, unlike Christ, this angel comes to earth before the time of tribulation is over.
2. 10:3-4 The devil and his hordes present themselves as fierce lions (see 9:8, 17; 1 Pet. 5:8). The victorious lion of Judah (5:5) also has an angelic servant who roars like a lion. It cannot be known what the seven thunders uttered because a heavenly voice, perhaps Christ’s, commanded John to seal up what he had heard (see Dan. 12:4, 9).
3. 10:8–11 As words of judgment, the book would make John’s stomach bitter, in the same way that Ezekiel’s spirit had become bitter (see Ezek. 3:14). The events of Ezek. 2; 3 occurred soon before God’s judgment on Judah and Jerusalem and were in effect the prophet’s commission. John may have sensed a similar commission here to prophesy his message of judgment to the world. John’s prophecy about peoples, nations, tongues, and kings may refer specifically to the remainder of the second woe (11:1–14), since there is a focus on the testimony of the two witnesses. However, the use of similar expressions in 13:7; 14:6; and 17:15 implies that John’s commission was to prophesy most or all of the Book of Revelation, a prophecy which speaks of all the events leading up to Christ’s second coming (19:11–21).
VI. Consider factors that may, or may not, be relative to the Tribulation.
A. Military Strength. As we consider the last battle of the Tribulation period (Rev 16:13-16, Campaign of Armageddon/Battle of Armageddon), let’s also consider the size of the military strength of the United States of America. Based on scripture, the United States will be one of the nations that will be involved in the attack on Israel that will occur at the end of the Tribulation (Zech 12:8-9; Zech 14:1-3). These will be armed forces personnel which will be left behind from the rapture of the Church (1 Thes 4:16-17). Only unsaved people of the armed forces of the world will be left behind, after the rapture, and will fight against Israel during the Campaign of Armageddon (Battle of Armageddon).
1. The strength of the U.S. military forces is: 2,260,000
2. A breakdown of the strength is: 1,400,000 active duty, and 860,000 reserve personnel.
B. World Conditions. Many people are being taught that the world is in the Tribulation.
1. Based on prophetic scripture, we are not in the Tribulation. Even though there has not been a peace treaty to be made between the antichrist and Israel (Daniel 9:27), there are many Bible teachers who persist in teaching that we are in the Tribulation. Such bad teachings are made based on our current world conditions.
2. The 1931 China floods, or the 1931 Yangtze–Huai River floods, were a series of floods occurred from June to August 1931 in the Republic of China, hitting major cities Wuhan, Nanjing and beyond, eventually culminated into a dyke breach along Lake Gaoyou on 26 August. Due to the enormity of the floods of China, many people may have thought that our world was entering into the Tribulation.
a. Fatality estimates vary wildly. A field survey by University of Nanking led by John Lossing Buck immediately after the flood found “150,000 people had drowned, and that this number represented less than a quarter of all fatalities during the first 100 days of the flood.” The official report found 140,000 drowned and claims that “2 million people died during the flood, having drowned or died from lack of food”. A cholera epidemic in the subsequent year, from May 1932, was officially reported to have 31,974 deaths and 100,666 cases. A popular high-end estimate of 3.7 to 4.0 million fatalities “enjoys great currency online, helping the 1931 flood to secure its position on sensationalist lists of the world’s deadliest disasters.”
b. Consider the following link that tells of the 1931 China floods. linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_China_floods
VII. Additional information on Rev 9:13-21 can be found in a sermon of Dr. Andy Woods (Th.M., J.D., Ph.D.).
A. See YouTube: Revelation Episode 30. A Bitter-Sweet Experience. Rev. 10:1-11
B. Dr. Andy Woods has a law degree from Whittier College and a PhD in Bible Exposition from Dallas Theological Seminary. He was a Full-Professor of Bible and Theology at the College Biblical Studies in Houston, TX (2009-2016). He is currently the President of Chafer Theological Seminary and Pastor of Sugar Land Bible Church. Andy also speaks on a variety of topics at Christian Conferences worldwide. Credentials of Dr. Woods can be found on my Equipping Site Page, “About Sources.” I encourage everyone to purchase Andy’s book, “The Coming Kingdom (Andrew M. Woods). Andy’s teachings provide provide a great deal of understanding of the Bible.
VIII. Video Details Of This Article.
A. First video.
1. What is the “little book” that John was told to eat?
2. John Ankerberg Show.
3. From the series “Revelation: The Last Words of Jesus” featuring very special guests Dr. Ron Rhodes, Dr. Ed Hindson, and, Dr. Mark Hitchcock.
4. Speaker credentials, including those of the moderator, Jon Ankerberg, can be seen in the following link. https://equippingblog.wordpress.com/about-sources.
B. Second video.
1. Most Beautiful Shabbat Video Ever!!!!
IX. Please check my sources of information. https://equippingblog.wordpress.com/about-sources/
X. Please follow this site.