End Times 23, Revelation 13:11-18, The False Prophet
Click onto the image to see the video and text.
What does the false prophet do to honor the Antichrist? Video details are provided at the foot of this page.
I. As we learn of the False Prophet in the opening video we see the final character of the unholy trinity, which consists of Satan, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet, who act in opposition to the Holy Trinity of God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit.
The Antichrist will be a political leader.
The False Prophet will be a religious leader. https://davidjeremiah.blog/the-false-prophet-in-the-book-of-revelation/
The credentials of the two participants in the video, Drs. John Ankerberg and Jimmy DeYoung, can be found in this site’s “About Sources” page.
II. Text. Revelation 13:11-18. The Beast From The Earth
11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. 12 He exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence. And he makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.
III. Translation Considerations. . “The New American Standard Bible (NASB) translation was chosen for this, and other studies, because of two main reasons. First, the NASB capitalizes the first letter of pronouns that relate to God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit); not all Bible translations show that same respect for God. Second, the NASB has a history of correctness in translation.”
IV. Comment Providers. BKC=The Bible Knowledge Commentary. DHC=David Hocking Commentary; HC=Holman Commentary; MSB=MacArthur Study Bible; MBC=Moody Bible Commentary; NAC=New American Commentary; NIV=NIV Study Bible; NKJV= New King James Study Bible; RLT=Robert L. Thomas Commentary; RC=Ryrie Commentary; RSB=Ryrie Study Bible; SRN=Scofield Reference Notes; WRC= Walvoord Commentary. Credentials for individual commentators can be found on my “About Sources” page.
V. Dates of scriptures come from the Scofield Study Bible, copyright 1909.
VI. Comments. Revelation 13:11-18.
A. 13:11. (MSB)
1. “another beast.” This is the final false prophet (called such in 16:13; 19:20; 20:10) who promotes Antichrist’s power and convinces the world to worship him as God. This companion beast will be the chief, most persuasive proponent of satanic religion (cf. 16:13; 19:20; 20:10). Antichrist will be primarily a political and military leader, but the false prophet will be a religious leader. Politics and religion will unite in a worldwide religion of worshiping the Antichrist (see 17:1–9, 15–17).
2. “out of the earth.” Likely another reference to the abyss that lies below the earth. The false prophet will be sent forth and controlled by a powerful demon from below. The earth imagery, in contrast to that of the foreboding, mysterious sea in v. 1, may imply that the false prophet is subtler and more winsome than Antichrist.
3. “two horns like a lamb.” This describes the relative weakness of the false prophet compared to Antichrist, who has 10 horns. A lamb has only two small bumps on its head, very inferior to the 10-horned beast.
4. “like a lamb.” The lamb imagery may also imply that the false prophet will be also a false Christ masquerading as the true Lamb. Unlike Antichrist, the false prophet will come not as a killing, destroying animal, but as one who appears gentle and deceptively attractive.
5. spoke like a dragon. The false prophet will be Satan’s mouthpiece, and thus his message will be like the dragon, Satan—the source of all false religion (cf. 2 Cor. 11:14).
B. 13:12. (See individual comments)
1. “exercises all the authority of the first beast.” The false prophet exercises the same kind of satanic power as Antichrist because he is empowered by the same source. He, too, will have worldwide influence and a reputation as a miracle worker and speaker. (MSB)
2. “causes . . . to worship.” “He causes” is used 8 times of him. He wields influence to establish a false world religion headed by Antichrist and to entice people to accept that system. (MSB)
3. “whose fatal wound was healed..” This phrase should be taken at face value, as is described in the Lexicon. https://biblehub.com/lexicon/revelation/13-12.htm (Mine).
a. “fatal.” 2288. thanatos: death. 2288 thánatos (derived from 2348 /thnḗskō, “to die”) – physical or spiritual death; (figuratively) separation from the life (salvation) of God forever by dying without first experiencing death to self to receive His gift of salvation.
b. “healed.” 2323. therapeuó: to serve, cure. 2323 therapeúō – properly, heal, reversing a physical condition to restore a person having an illness (disease, infirmity). [2323 (therapeúō), the root of “therapy” and “therapeutic,” usually involves natural elements in the process of healing.]
c. From Rev 13:3. “his fatal wound was healed.” Apparently Satan will miraculously restore Antichrist to life in imitation of the resurrection of Christ. No wonder the world will acclaim Antichrist (RSB). As in 13:12, “fatal: 2288, and healed: 2323,” are consistent in both verses (13:3, 13:12). (Mine)
C. 13:13. (MSB)
1. “great signs.” The same phrase is used of Jesus’ miracles (John 2:11, 23; 6:2), which indicates the false prophet performs signs that counterfeit Christ’s. Satan, who has done supernatural works in the past (e.g., Ex. 7:11; 2 Tim. 3:8), must use his strategy of false miracles to convince the world that Antichrist is more powerful than God’s true witnesses (chap. 11), including Jesus Christ.
2. fire come down from heaven. The context indicates that the false prophet does counterfeit pyrotechnic signs continually to convince men of his power, and also in imitation of the two witnesses (11:5).
D. 13:14. “make an image.” This refers to replication of Antichrist that is related to the throne he will erect during the abomination of desolation, halfway into the Tribulation period. This will happen in the Jerusalem temple when Antichrist abolishes the former false world religion and seeks to have people worship him alone as God (cf. Dan. 9:27; 11:31; 12:11; Matt. 24:15; 2 Thess. 2:4). The false prophet and Antichrist again will deceive the world with a clever imitation of Christ, who will later return and reign from the true throne in Jerusalem. (MSB)
E. 13:15. (MSB)
1. “speak.” The false prophet will give the image of Antichrist the appearance of life, and the image will seem to utter words—contrary to what is normally true of idols (cf. Ps. 135:15, 16; Hab. 2:19).
2. “cause . . . to be killed.” His gentleness is a lie, since he is a killer (7:9–17). Some Gentiles will be spared to populate the kingdom (Matt. 25:31–40), and Jews will be protected (12:17).
F. 13:16. “a mark.” In the Roman Empire, this was a normal identifying symbol, or brand, that slaves and soldiers bore on their bodies. Some of the ancient mystical cults delighted in such tattoos, which identified members with a form of worship. Antichrist will have a similar requirement, one that will need to be visible on the hand or forehead. (MSB)
G. 13:17. (MSB)
1. “buy or sell.” Antichrist’s mark will allow people to engage in daily commerce, including the purchase of food and other necessities. Without the identifying mark, individuals will be cut off from the necessities of life.
2. “number of his name.” The beast (Antichrist) will have a name inherent in a numbering system. It is not clear from the text exactly what this name and number system will be or what its significance will be.
H. 13:18. “His number is 666.” This is the essential number of a man. The number 6 falls one short of God’s perfect number, 7, and thus represents human imperfection. Antichrist, the most powerful human the world will ever know, will still be a man, i.e., a 6. The ultimate in human and demonic power is a 6, not perfect, as God is. The 3-fold repetition of the number is intended to reiterate and underscore man’s identity. When Antichrist is finally revealed, there will be some way to identify him with this basic number of a man, or his name may have the numerical equivalent of 666. (In many languages, including Heb., Gr., and Lat., letters have numerical equivalents.) Because this text reveals very little about the meaning of 666, it is unwise to speculate beyond what is said. (MSB)
VII. Video details.
What does the false prophet do to honor the Antichrist?
John Ankerberg Show.
From our series “Through the Book of Revelation with Dr. Jimmy DeYoung”.
For more information on this series, please visit: https://jashow.org/through-the-book-of-revelation/
VIII. Please follow this site.